The Badge — Preparing for a raid
The relationship between the media and law enforcement is often adversarial. Reporters appear to seek the sensational elements of a crime story, often to the detriment of the police, and officers tend to be uncooperative with journalists they seem to instinctively mistrust.
Not so with “The Badge,” a new series presented by a San Francisco Chronicle reporter/photographer team embedded with the SFPD. Kudos to the Chronicle for pursuing this series and to the officers who willingly put themselves in the media spotlight in the hopes of helping civilians develop a better understanding of life behind the badge. You’re putting a human face on “the police,” which will benefit us all.
Read the full "Badge" series
By John Koopman
The San Francisco Chronicle
Related: Getting it right: The importance of pre-raid planning
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: The Badge — Preparing for a raid
Recommended for you
'Take care of your cops': 2 career lawmen talk the benefits of building a relationship with the media
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper