Crime reporter accused of robbery, firing at cops
Police allege the four initially posed as police
PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad — A reporter who led crime coverage for a Trinidad & Tobago newspaper and a TV news cameraman are being accused of robbing a liquor store and getting in a shootout with police.
Authorities say Trinidad Express reporter Akile Simon and TV6 cameraman Brendon Alexander teamed up with a security guard and a taxi driver to commit the robbery in a town outside Port-of-Spain.
Police allege the four initially posed as police, showing the shop owner a phony warrant.
The gang is accused of engaging officers in a shootout shortly after robbing the store of $28,000 and nine bottles of whiskey. The security guard was shot in the leg before they surrendered.
The reporter and the cameraman pleaded not guilty to robbery charges at a court hearing Thursday.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Officer Safety
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman