Video: Arrested journalist reports live from police van
Officials didn't realize the reporter was live, so they allowed him to continue filming
By Becket Adams
LONDON — A broadcast from Beijing’s Tiananmen Square has turned into a bizarre television experience for British viewers after a Sky News reporter and his camera operator were detained by Chinese authorities on live television.
Sky News correspondent Mark Stone says he was broadcasting at Tiananmen Square when officials detained him. He kept the camera on the whole time, narrating his trip in a Chinese police van as startled anchor Anna Jones asked him what was happening.
It’s not clear why Stone was detained. Chinese regulations require prior approval to broadcast live from politically sensitive and heavily patrolled Tiananmen.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court