Police: Trained MMA fighter fends off 4 attackers, 1 killed
Sal Garces died this week from stab wounds after he and three other men broke into Joseph Torrez's home
LAS CRUCES, N.M. — Authorities say a resident who is a trained mixed martial artist killed a man suspected of taking part in a New Mexico home invasion.
Dona Ana County sheriff's officials say 25-year-old Sal Garces died this week from stab wounds after he and three other men broke into Joseph Torrez's home north of Las Cruces on Wednesday.
Deputies say Torrez, his fiancee and a toddler were at home at the time of the invasion. Authorities say the fiancee tried to use her body against the front door to keep the men from entering.
Deputies say Torrez was able to fight off the four men — two of whom have been arrested and another hospitalized with unknown injuries.
Officials say Torrez may face charges in the death, but what charges aren't known.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
'Take care of your cops': 2 career lawmen talk the benefits of building a relationship with the media
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper