Police: Trained MMA fighter fends off 4 attackers, 1 killed
Sal Garces died this week from stab wounds after he and three other men broke into Joseph Torrez's home
LAS CRUCES, N.M. — Authorities say a resident who is a trained mixed martial artist killed a man suspected of taking part in a New Mexico home invasion.
Dona Ana County sheriff's officials say 25-year-old Sal Garces died this week from stab wounds after he and three other men broke into Joseph Torrez's home north of Las Cruces on Wednesday.
Deputies say Torrez, his fiancee and a toddler were at home at the time of the invasion. Authorities say the fiancee tried to use her body against the front door to keep the men from entering.
Deputies say Torrez was able to fight off the four men — two of whom have been arrested and another hospitalized with unknown injuries.
Officials say Torrez may face charges in the death, but what charges aren't known.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman