LA cop killed in crash featured in birthday video for ill boy
Nicholas Choung Lee was one of the many LAPD officers to personally wish Tyler Seddon a happy birthday in a video they sent him
Duty Death: Nicholas Choung Lee - [Los Angeles, California]
End of Service: 03/07/2014
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — A veteran Los Angeles police officer was killed and his rookie partner was critically injured Friday when their patrol car collided with a big rig on a residential street. The truck driver also was injured. The county coroner's office identified the slain officer as Nicholas Choung Lee, 40.
Lee was featured in a video to 7-year-old Burrillville boy Tyler Seddon, who was honored by law enforcement from around the country Thursday after his mother posted about Tyler’s battle with cancer and his love for first-responders on Facebook.
"Nick was a great cop. His hard work, dedication and leadership helped mold young police officers into law enforcement professionals," Beck said.
Lee was training a rookie who was only three months out of the police academy when their cruiser collided with a truck hauling a trash container and carrying a Bobcat loader down a steep road, authorities said.
Recommended for you
'Take care of your cops': 2 career lawmen talk the benefits of building a relationship with the media
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend