Drunk driver tries to bribe cops with $50K
Alcides Gonzabay pleaded with police because he didn't want his mother to see him behind bars
By Matt McNulty and Josh Saul
New York Post
A drunken coke fiend tried to bribe cops with $50,000 and “expensive watches from a safe in my house” if they would drive him home instead of cuffing him for driving while intoxicated, Manhattan court papers state.
Alcides Gonzabay, 35, offered cops the bribe after they found the White Plains man passed out in his Audi with the motor running on an Upper West Side street at 2:10 p.m. on February 9, according to his criminal complaint.
“I was drinking tequila, a big bottle,” Gonzabay told cops, according to his complaint. “I took coke before I drove … I was drinking on the highway. I’m not going to lie to you. I will pay you $50,000 and expensive watches from a safe in my house if you take me home and drop off my car.”
Full Story: Drunken driver tries $50K bribe to go free: cops
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms