Off-duty cop fatally shoots armed teen robber in New Orleans
The officer was helping friends change a flat tire when they were approached by an armed robber
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW ORLEANS — An off-duty cop helping friends change a flat tire shot and killed a teenager who attempted to rob the women at gunpoint.
Three women had a flat tire when they called a friend — an off-duty campus police officer — to assist them, according to WDSU.
Jose Valerio, 17, and another man pulled up in a vehicle alongside a stranded car around 2 a.m. Thursday morning. Valerio exited the car brandishing a handgun and demanded money from the women.
The officer identified himself to the teen and an exchange of gunfire quickly ensued.
Valerio was pronounced dead at the hospital with multiple gunshot wounds to his body, according to the report.
The officer and women were not injured. The second suspect in the vehicle took off and is still at large.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds