Off-duty NYPD officer shot in the chest
The Associated Press
NEW YORK- An off-duty police officer was shot in the chest before dawn Saturday and authorities searching for the gunman shut down transit in the area.
The wounded officer underwent surgery at Jacobi Medical Center, said Detective Eric Crisafi, a police spokesman.
Police said they were still trying to confirm details about the gunfire in the Bronx.
Authorities searched for the gunman using canine units, closed subway stations and halted trains in the area.
Another officer was killed on Nov. 28 during a car chase in Brooklyn and killed by a bullet that missed his protective vest.
A suspect in that shooting was arrested and charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder in a separate shooting that wounded another officer earlier in November.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman