Off-duty deputy kills Oklahoma City mall shooter
The Associated Press
OKLAHOMA CITY- A young man opened fire in a busy mall Saturday, injuring a teen before the man was shot and killed by an off-duty sheriff's deputy, authorities said.
The deputy, who was working as a security guard at the Crossroads Mall, was taking a break when "he heard a commotion downstairs, kind of like a couple of guys fighting, then he heard a gunshot," Myers said.
The deputy, whose name was not released, went to a railing and looked down to the first floor of the mall where he saw a young man with a gun.
"He turned around with the gun, our deputy shot him, killed the person with the gun," Myers said.
The wounded boy was taken to a nearby hospital in fair condition, according to ambulance company spokeswoman Lara O'Leary.
The identities of the two youths were not immediately released.
Oklahoma City police have been asked to assist in the investigation into the shooting, Myers said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy