Texas off-duty officer killed in gun cleaning accident
The Associated Press
HOUSTON, Texas — Authorities believe an off-duty Houston police officer was killed Sunday in a gun- cleaning accident at his home.
The officer’s family told investigators they returned to their home in southwest Houston about 11 a.m. from an errand and found the officer dead.
Police said there were several weapons and gun-cleaning equipment found around the officer’s body.
There was no indication of a break-in at the home. Homicide detectives are investigating the death.
The name of the officer, a 20-year veteran, was not immediately released by investigators.
The officer was soon to be transferred to the Houston police homicide unit as a detective, officials said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman