Off-duty N.Y. officer found shot in head at home
By Associated Press
YONKERS, N.Y. — An off-duty New York City Police Officer was found shot dead in his Yonkers home last night. An investigator with the Westchester Medical Examiner's Office confirmed that 28-year-old Joseph John was pronounced dead at 11 p.m. Wednesday from a single gunshot wound to his head.
John was found in his Whitman Road home by Yonkers Police, who were called by family members in the house at the time.
Investigator Sean McDonnell says police are looking into whether John shot himself.
A spokesman for the New York Police Department said the NYPD would not issue any statements until Yonkers police conclude the investigation.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds