Ohio aux. officer accidentally shoots son
MARYSVILLE, Ohio — An auxiliary police officer accidentally shot and killed his son as the two were examining a sniper rifle at their central Ohio home, police said.
Michael Hopkins shot 22-year-old Kyle Hopkins in the chest with the .308-caliber rifle Tuesday in Marysville, about 25 miles northwest of Columbus, Marysville police said.
Michael Hopkins is an auxiliary officer with the police department in Kenton, about 30 miles to the northwest, assistant police chief Glenn Nicol said.
Kyle Hopkins was pronounced dead at Memorial Hospital of Union County. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.
No charges have been filed. Police, prosecutors and the coroner were investigating.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help