Off-duty L.A. officer shoots knife-wielding suspect
By Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Francisco Vara-Orta and Andrew Blankstein
The Los Angeles Times
LOS ANGELES — An off-duty Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy Tuesday shot and wounded a driver who allegedly brandished a knife after the two men pulled over on the 105 Freeway in Hawthorne, authorities said.
Officials closed all eastbound lanes from Crenshaw Boulevard to Hoover Street for nearly four hours to investigate the incident, which occurred as the deputy, a nine-year veteran, was driving home after a night shift training deputies at the nearby Lennox station, said sheriff's Sgt. John Hocking.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic