NYPD officer fatally shoots wife, kills self
Editor's Note: Understanding Domestic Violence columnist Richard Davis says, "For police departments, acknowledging that police officers can be abusers or can be abused by another family member, regardless of age or gender, may be the first positive step in resolving this problematic issue. Domestic violence inflicts suffering and deaths in too many family's police officers visit and officers know only too well that they don't have to leave home to encounter it." Read more from his article Domestic violence and police officers as abuser or victim
By Zachary R. Dowdy and Jennifer Barrios
NEW YORK — Marital troubles were a factor when a New York City police lieutenant stabbed and shot his wife to death in their Centereach home after the couple's daughter tried to stop the attack, police said yesterday. He then shot himself to death.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: NYPD officer fatally shoots wife, kills self
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms