N.J. corrections officer kills 4-month-old son, self
NEWARK, N.J. — Police say a northern New Jersey corrections officer shot and wounded her boyfriend, then killed her 4-month-old son and committed suicide inside his apartment.
Newark police say 39-year-old Kelly McKenith and her infant son, Kaire McKenith, were pronounced dead Monday at University Hospital.
An Essex County Prosecutor's Office spokesman says McKenith's boyfriend, 28-year-old Lewis Goosby, was shot three times and is in critical condition.
Police say Goosby escaped through a window after being wounded shortly before 4 p.m., and McKenith barricaded herself inside the apartment when officers arrived. Police entered after hearing gunshots.
Police say they believe McKenith's service weapon was used in the shootings.
McKenith had worked for the Essex County corrections office since 2005.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds