Effigy video on Facebook burns Wisc. deputies
CHILTON, Wisc. — One eastern Wisconsin sheriff's deputy has resigned and another has been demoted after a video on Facebook showed them and others burning a dummy in a department uniform.
The video taken last month shows the deputies burning a uniformed effigy propped against a small cross. A woman at one point says the burning cross has a "KKK aspect to it."
Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel said Tuesday that Deputy Jennifer Bass resigned and Wendy Schmitz has been demoted to dispatcher. Bass had been a jailer and Schmitz had been an investigative sergeant.
The sheriff says both women called the burning a "stress reliever." Notes bearing names of the sheriff and other officers were affixed to the dummy.
Bass' phone number isn't listed. A telephone message left for Schmitz wasn't returned.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds