Questions surround off-duty Phila. cop's shooting
By Allison Steele
The Philadelphia Inquirer
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. — Questions surrounding the death of 21-year-old William Panas, shot and killed by an off-duty police officer Saturday in the Port Richmond neighborhood where both lived, mounted yesterday as conflicting accounts of the shooting emerged.
Police have said the officer - whom they did not name but whom witnesses identified as Frank Tepper - tried to break up a street fight and was assaulted by several brawlers, prompting him to open fire in self-defense.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman