Plane crash kills 2 off-duty officers
The single-engine plane crashed during takeoff
By PoliceOne Staff
LOS ANGELES — Two off-duty police officers were killed in a plane crash in Arizona over the weekend, authorities said Monday.
Brian Hayes, 25, and Nicole Anderson, 32, both from Southern California, were killed Sunday morning at a regional airport in Winslow. The single-engine plane they were flying crashed during takeoff and rolled over.
Anderson, an eight-year veteran of the Simi Valley Police Department, had been visiting her father in Colorado before the crash, Police Capt. John McGinty said. Hayes, her boyfriend, accompanied her on the trip.
Hayes had served as patrol officer, traffic investigator and detective since joining the Anaheim Police Department in 1999, the Anaheim Star reported.
A celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Simi Valley Police Department scheduled for Monday was postponed due to Anderson’s death.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds