Officer dies after jumping from boat
An incident on the Massachusetts River claimed the life of Charles Panek
By John Collins
TYNGSBORO, Mass. — Only a river as mighty as the Merrimack could have taken the life of such a "fearless and fit" warrior as Lowell police Officer Charles "PJ" Panek, said his parents, brother and friends.
Yet Panek's parents, Sandra and Charles of Pelham, also said yesterday they are mystified how their physically fit, 30-year-old son -- an expert swimmer who had successfully parachuted into the ocean in National Guard paratrooper training only two weeks earlier -- somehow drowned so quickly, and mid-river, where the current reportedly was not strong.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Officer dies after jumping from boat
- Police Heroes
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman