Gunman opens fire in Chicago bar, killed by off-duty cop
The suspect opened fire and wounded one before shooting at the officer
By Rosemary Sobol
CHICAGO — An off-duty Harvey police officer fatally shot a man who allegedly opened fire early Thursday inside a crowded south suburban bar, fled and then fired more shots through the tavern's front window.
"The officer performed commendably," Burnham Police Chief Peter Belos said. "The suspect had no regard for anyone's life, and the officer prevented further death and injuries."
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms