Idaho deputy dies after boating accident
A witness said Deputy Mark Weaver fell off a sinking boat
By PoliceOne Staff
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho — A deputy died Thursday night after falling off a boat and spending an hour in 48-degree water.
Bonneville County Sheriff's deputy Mark Weaver was found face down with a life jacket on in Mud Lake Wednesday afternoon, KPVI reported. Rescue crews administered CPR before transporting the deputy to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls.
A witness said Weaver fell off a sinking boat. It is unclear what caused the accident.
Weaver had purchased the boat a few weeks ago and was testing it, Sheriff Blair Olsen said.
"With a humble heart, we are sorry to inform you that Mark Weaver has passed away last night. He had a great sense of humor and a smile that warmed your heart," The Bonneville County Sheriff's Office said on its Facebook page early Friday.
"Please keep his family in your hearts during this rough time."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests