Off-duty NYPD cop shot twice, still nabs suspect
Officer Nelson Vergara served two tours of duty in Iraq as a Marine and became a one-man army when he was attacked in the Bronx
Larry Celona, Reuven Fenton and Bob Fredericks
The New York Post
NEW YORK — An NYPD cop who served two tours of duty in Iraq as a Marine became a one-man army yesterday.
Officer Nelson Vergara was attacked by a bottle-hurling punk, then was shot twice by another thug — but still managed to wound the suspected gunman and cuff the alleged bottle thrower.
Vergara — a married father of girls ages 4 and 8 — had parked his car and was walking to his Bronx apartment at about 4:45 a.m. when a gang of punks began taunting him.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Off-duty NYPD cop shot twice, still nabs suspect
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic