Off-duty NYPD cop shot twice, still nabs suspect
Officer Nelson Vergara served two tours of duty in Iraq as a Marine and became a one-man army when he was attacked in the Bronx
Larry Celona, Reuven Fenton and Bob Fredericks
The New York Post
NEW YORK — An NYPD cop who served two tours of duty in Iraq as a Marine became a one-man army yesterday.
Officer Nelson Vergara was attacked by a bottle-hurling punk, then was shot twice by another thug — but still managed to wound the suspected gunman and cuff the alleged bottle thrower.
Vergara — a married father of girls ages 4 and 8 — had parked his car and was walking to his Bronx apartment at about 4:45 a.m. when a gang of punks began taunting him.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Off-duty NYPD cop shot twice, still nabs suspect
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help