'One man army' cop back on feet after brush with death in Bronx
NYPD Officer Nelson Vergara was off duty when he took two bullets and still managed to nab the suspect
By Lorena Mongelli , Erin Calabrese and Bob Fredericks
The New York Post
NEW YORK — The NYPD cop who took two bullets in a wild shootout with a Bronx thug was back on his feet yesterday, just a day after he was released from the hospital.
"Just trying to get some rest," a smiling Nelson Vergara told The Post as he returned to his Morris Heights apartment yesterday evening, after discussing his impending grand-jury testimony with Bronx prosecutors.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police