Off duty Wis. cop 'hero' after rescuing 2 from fire
After the officer pulled the couple from the car, firefighters and a nurse happened to arrive
MAUSTON, Wis. — An off-duty officer rushed over to a smoking car to find two people trapped inside. He then smashed open the windows and pulled each of the two victims away from the burning wreck to nearby safety, saving them from a potentially fiery death.
Phil Witkewickz, a member of the Wisconsin State Police, was on his way home from a hunting trip when he spotted a plume of smoke coming from an accident on the side of Interstate 90 in Wisconsin.
Shortly after Witkewickz managed to pull the victims out of their car, a pair of firefighters who were returning from a conference stopped to offer their assistance. By that time the fire had started to spread to the nearby brush and was threatening to get worse.
- Police Heroes
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house