Off-duty Mich. cop shoots attempted carjacker
Armed suspect demanded officer's car keys before cop opened fire
By PoliceOne Staff
DETROIT — An off-duty officer shot a would-be carjacker Tuesday after the suspect aimed a gun and demanded the cop's car keys.
Sgt. Eren Stephens, a 13-year veteran with the Detroit Police Department, left his vehicle when an SUV blocked him in.
One of three men in the SUV then approached with a handgun, demanding Stephens hand over his keys, according to Detroit News.
Stephens produced his own weapon and opened fire. The wounded suspect fled on foot while the other two escaped in their vehicle, according to the article.
Later police were informed that a 19-year-old man matching the description of the carjacker was seeking medical attention for a gunshot wound at a local hospital.
He was arrested and is in critical condition.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman