2nd man dies after Vegas carjack that killed trooper
Felix Brandon Cruz and his brother-in-law were thrown from their truck bed as a suspect stole the vehicle
LAS VEGAS — Hospital officials say the second man who tried to stop a pickup truck theft in Las Vegas over the weekend has died of his injuries.
A spokeswoman at University Medical Center says 31-year-old Felix Brandon Cruz died around 10:30 p.m. Monday.
His brother-in-law, Jesus Manuel Magdaleno Jr., was killed in the crash Sunday morning.
Authorities say Magdaleno was a California Highway Patrol officer in town for his bachelor party when a man started to drive his truck away from a casino valet stand with Cruz still in the truck bed.
Magdaleno jumped into the truck bed with Cruz, but both were thrown out when the pickup crashed.
Police say 29-year-old James Robert Montgomery of Tustin, Calif., is jailed on felony murder, kidnapping, auto theft and other charges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Police Heroes
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy