UK soldiers suspected of beating NY cop
A U.K. Ministry of Defence spokesman said those found guilty of assault will face disciplinary action
By Alexander Smith
NEW YORK — An off-duty New York police officer was allegedly assaulted and robbed outside a Manhattan bar by six soldiers from a Scottish regiment who were in town on a rugby tour, police said Monday.
One of the soldiers, of the Royal Regiment of Scotland, is said to have snatched the 21-year-old officer's cell phone while the other five are suspected of assault. A friend of the officer was also allegedly assaulted.
"A verbal confrontation escalated into a physical confrontation," a New York Police Department said. "Words were said and the situation became aggressive. The officer suffered bumps, bruises and lacerations, but nothing to the point of hospitalization."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house