Off-duty officer saves woman having heart attack
Officer Blaine Brinkmeyer rushed over and performed CPR
By Laura Nichols
Terry Martindale was 400 miles out of town when he got a phone call from his wife explaining that her mother collapsed of a heart attack while grocery shopping inside a Wes Des Moines Hy-Vee. Cheryl Burgess, 56, did not have a pulse, and doctors believe she was dead for five minutes.
It happened so fast no one knew exactly what to do. That's when off-duty West Des Moines Police Officer Blaine Brinkmeyer rushed over and performed CPR to revive Burgess before medics arrived.
- Police Heroes
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert