Off-duty cop shot own son as son fatally stabbed mother
Police say an off-duty police officer has shot and killed his son as the son fatally stabbed his mother at their Md. home
GAITHERSBURG, Md. — Police say an off-duty police officer has shot and killed his son as the man fatally stabbed his mother at their Maryland home.
Montgomery County police spokesman Capt. Jim Daly says the officer fired at his 25-year-old son Wednesday night after he saw him attack his mother with a sharp object in the family's Gaithersburg home. The woman — the officer's wife — was critically injured and later died at a hospital.
The reason for the fight was not immediately known.
The officer's name has not been released, but Daly says he is a sergeant and 27-year veteran of the department. He has been placed on administrative leave, which is standard.
Police say they will release more information after other family members have been notified.
Gaithersburg is a suburb of Washington, D.C., northwest of the city.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke takes job with Homeland Security
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Grand jury doesn't indict Ohio officer for fatally shooting teen