Video: Off-duty officer rescues driver in gas station explosion
Officer was getting gas when an elderly man’s car slammed into another vehicle and a pump, causing a massive fire
By PoliceOne Staff
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — Surveillance footage captures a heroic rescue by a New York officer after a fire broke out at a gas station.
The Journal News reports that Troop NYC Senior Investigator John Vescio was putting gas in his unmarked squad car when an elderly man’s car slammed into another vehicle and into the pump Vescio was using.
Vescio was injured after the pump fell on top of him.
Despite his injuries, the officer was able to rescue the 69-year-old driver, who crashed as a result of going into diabetic shock. As Vescio went to tend to the driver, the pump and one of the vehicles caught fire.
5 people in total were injured in the incident. Both Vescio and the elderly man were transported to a local hospital. The other three people injured refused treatment, according to the report.
Vescio was treated and released from the hospital. The elderly man remains hospitalized.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police