Video: Off-duty cop suspended after pursuing robbery suspect
Austin police officer thought he was protecting the public, but was punished for his actions
AUSTIN — An Austin police officer thought he was protecting the public, but was instead punished for his actions. He chased down a robbery suspect while off-duty.
This is video of off-duty Officer Jonathan LaBorde running out of his church in South Austin. Minutes earlier he was in a meeting when he saw a bloody man run down the hallway.
"His first thought was that somebody had robbed the church, they'd just finished church services and there was cash there," said Austin Police Association President Wayne Vincent.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police