Eight men, including a former PO, indicted in polygamous Ariz. community
The Associated Press
COLORADO CITY, Ariz.- Eight members of a polygamous community were indicted on charges of sexual misconduct with a minor and conspiracy, prosecutors said.
Colorado City and neighboring Hildale, Utah, are dominated by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a sect that broke away from the Mormon church and still practices polygamy.
The church has come under increasing pressure from authorities in Utah and Arizona.
Utah attorneys have succeeded in wresting control of a trust away from church leaders after raising concerns that leaders would sell off residents' homes. Most of the property in the communities was controlled by the church trust.
Also, the church's reclusive leader, Warren Jeffs, was charged in Arizona in early June with counts that include conspiracy to commit sexual conduct with a minor. He remains a fugitive.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy