N.J. state police arrest officer for helping man rob drug dealers
The Associated Press
Cpl. Michael A. Hearne was arrested late Friday while in uniform and was charged with official misconduct, conspiracy to commit robbery, money laundering and possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes.
"After seeing the results of a life of crimes, it's very sad when any sworn officer crosses the line," State Police Lt. Mike Cartagena said in a statement.
Police said Hearne gave his accomplice an illegal handgun to use in robbing specific drug dealers, and the two then split the proceeds. They said the accomplice claimed one robbery netted about $30,000.
Hearne, 42, of Woodbury, was being held in lieu of $2 million bail, authorities said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help