Off-duty Wash. officer shoots man who stole his truck
By The Associated Press
The 20-year-old victim was taken to a hospital, where his injuries were not life-threatening and he was in stable condition, police spokeswoman Officer Jennifer DeRuwe said.
Officer James "Jay" Olsen, a 16-year veteran, was placed on administrative leave while the incident is investigated.
DeRuwe said Olsen was leaving a downtown bar when he saw his truck being stolen by a man. Olsen and a friend chased the man in another car to the Peaceful Valley neighborhood west of downtown. After a foot chase and confrontation, the man was shot at about 3:40 a.m., DeRuwe said.
The Spokane County Sheriff's Department has been asked to investigate the shooting, Police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds