Policing the police
Copyright 2006 The Chronicle Publishing Co.
All Rights Reserved
THE SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
SAN FRANCISCO — Mayor Gavin Newsom and the San Francisco Police Commission say they are serious about screening out violent officers ill-suited for street work. But they'll be undercutting this pledge if a flawed reform package goes through.
About 100 officers on the 2,100-member force are responsible for a quarter of the reported excessive force used in police work. It's a number that proves the department hasn't done enough to identify and remove trouble-prone cops.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Policing the police
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms