Thousands of dollars missing from St. Louis police vault
By Bill Bryan
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Also in the news: Texas sheriff worries about 'gypsy cops':
Proof that he doesn't sweep scandals under the rug
ST. LOUIS — Thousands of dollars in cash — perhaps $40,000 or more — has been stolen from the evidence vault in the property-custody room in the basement of St. Louis Police Headquarters, the Post-Dispatch has learned.
The theft is the second from a safe inside the Police Department this year. Police Chief Joe Mokwa disciplined several high-ranking officers for their lack of accountability in that earlier case, the department confirmed.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help