Officer arrested after brawl at police station
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — A Springfield police officer is facing assault charges after he and a superior officer engaged in a fight.
Patrolman Derek Cook allegedly assaulted Lieutenant Robert Moynihan and Sergeant Dennis O'Connor during a fight inside police headquarters on Saturday.
Cook was charged with two counts of assault and one count of making a threat.
Authorities say Cook and Moynihan got into a fight in a hallway after a disagreement during morning roll call.
Moynihan was treated and released by Baystate Medical Center.
O'Connor was injured while trying to break up the fight. The extent of his injuries was unknown.
The 39-year-old Cook and 57-year-old Moynihan were suspended until Tuesday.
Cook cooperated with detectives and was released on his own recognizance. A court date has not been set.
Copyright 2008 The Boston Globe
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Officer arrested after brawl at police station
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help