BART cop Mehserle takes the stand
Testimony included description of TASER training he received
By Paul T. Rosynsky
LOS ANGELES — Former BART police officer Johannes Mehserle spoke in public for the first time Thursday as he took the witness stand in his own defense to explain why he shot an unarmed Oscar Grant in the back early New Year's Day 2009.
Wearing a gray suit, blue shirt and red tie, Mehserle spoke in a quiet, nasally voice as he briefly described his childhood, his family and why he decided to become a police officer.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: BART cop Mehserle takes the stand
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman