BART cop Mehserle takes the stand
Testimony included description of TASER training he received
By Paul T. Rosynsky
LOS ANGELES — Former BART police officer Johannes Mehserle spoke in public for the first time Thursday as he took the witness stand in his own defense to explain why he shot an unarmed Oscar Grant in the back early New Year's Day 2009.
Wearing a gray suit, blue shirt and red tie, Mehserle spoke in a quiet, nasally voice as he briefly described his childhood, his family and why he decided to become a police officer.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: BART cop Mehserle takes the stand
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help