Ill. cop convicted of sexually abusing girl, 10
Also accused of molesting two preteen girls at a 2006 slumber party
By Beth Kramer
Chicago Sun Times
GURNEE, Ill. — A Gurnee police officer was found guilty Wednesday night of sexually abusing a 10-year-old girl.
Jay Simon's bond was revoked by Lake County Associate Judge Theodore Potkonjak, and he was taken to Lake County Jail.
Simon, 38, was accused of molesting two preteen girls at a birthday slumber party in 2006. His trial, which started Monday, was for one of the victims, who is now 14.
After nearly six hours of deliberation, a jury found him guilty of two counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.
Simon, on suspension from the Gurnee force, has been officer for six years and served in the Navy for 12 years. The judge set Simon's next court date for Oct. 12.
Copyright 2010 Sun-Times Media, LLC
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police