Reserve Ind. police officer kills wife
Benjamin Hankins, 36, shot and killed his wife at his house
MUNCIE, Ind. — A Muncie woman has been shot and killed at a Delaware County home.
Her husband is a reserve officer with the Gaston police. Ben Hankins was taken into custody.
County Sheriff Mike Scroggins tells The Star Press the 36-year-old is the suspected shooter in the death of Lisa A. "Nettie" Hankins.
County Coroner Scott Hahn says the 32-year-old victim died of multiple gunshot wounds Friday.
Court documents show Lisa Hankins filed for divorce in August, and the case was still pending at the time of her death. The couple have three children.
Gaston police Cpl. James Dixon declined comment about the shooting.
The nearby Wes-Del Community Schools was on lockdown for about 45 minutes following the shooting.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic