Off-duty NYPD cop arrested on rape charges
Michael Pena, who has been an officer since 2008, was jailed
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW YORK — An NYPD officer has been arrested on charges that he raped a woman in an apartment backyard, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Michael Pena, who has been an officer since 2008, was jailed after the alleged incident Friday morning.
The 25-year-old woman told police that Pena, who was off-duty, approached her, showed her a gun and dragged her several blocks to the backyard, where he raped her.
Pena has been an officer since 2008. The department said he has been suspended without pay.
Responding officers did not realize Pena was a cop until they handcuffed him and found his identification, Chief NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court