NJ officer accused of luring 12-year-old girl
Woodland Park Police Officer Steven Vigorito Jr. pleaded innocent to the charges Wednesday
WOODLAND PARK, N.J. — Prosecutors have charged a New Jersey police officer with attempted aggravated sexual assault of a 12-year-old girl he met while assisting her family in an unrelated police matter.
Woodland Park Police Officer Steven Vigorito Jr. pleaded innocent to the charges Wednesday and is held on $250,000 bail following his arrest while on duty Tuesday night.
Passaic County Prosecutor Camelia Valdes says the girl's family complained to the police department that the officer had made inappropriate comments to the girl and had given her his private cellphone number and asked her to text him.
Police say detectives posing as the girl received explicit text messages from the officer, who allegedly arranged to meet her for sex.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic