Video: Cop pulls woman by hair away from burning home
The video shows an officer trying to restrain an emotional resident who lives at the house that caught fire Friday.
By PoliceOne Staff
SAN DIEGO—A San Diego police sergeant was videotaped apparently pulling a woman’s hair as he and her husband tried to keep her away from her burning home.
The video, shot by the Imperial Beach Patch, shows Sgt. Daniel McLaughlin restrain an emotional Torazzi Hayslett, who lives at a house that caught fire Friday. McLaughlin is seen pulling Hayslett’s hair as her husband held her, both attempting to keep her from running toward the flames.
Hayslett, who the video shows swinging her hand at the sergeant repeatedly, appeared to hit the officer in the face, NBC San Diego reported. Witnesses to the incident said they were surprised.
"…She shouldn't have hit a cop,” Nestor resident Max Campos told the station. “What was she thinking, hitting police?”
Hayslett, who said she will hire an attorney, told U-T San Diego the sergeant overreacted. According to Lt. Andra Brown, police opened an investigation into her allegations.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help