Md. officer indicted in shooting of fleeing man
Police say the officer knew the suspect was unarmed, just had to stop him
By Andrea Noble
The Washington Times
DISTRICT HEIGHTS, Md. — A police officer who shot a handcuffed man in the back as he fled from the officer's custody was indicted Thursday on attempted murder in connection with the shooting, Prince George's County prosecutors said.
Sgt. Johnnie Riley, an eight-year department veteran, also faces misconduct in office and assault charges stemming from the September shooting that paralyzed 26-year-old Kalvin Kyle from the chest down.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Md. officer indicted in shooting of fleeing man
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help