Inquest begins for suspect who died in back of squad
The prosecutor will considers whether to criminally charge any of the police officers involved in the man's death
By Gina Barton
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
MILWAUKEE, Wis. — In the five months since the public release of a video of Derek Williams struggling to breathe in the back of a Milwaukee police car, citizens have clamored to be heard.
Beginning Monday, six of them will get their chance in a Milwaukee County courtroom, serving as jurors at an inquest into Williams' death. Their advisory verdict will guide special prosecutor John Franke as he considers whether to criminally charge any of the police officers involved.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help