Chicago cop found dead in apparent suicide
The officer was being investigated for an alleged rape when he took his own life
By PoliceOne Staff
CHICAGO — A Chicago officer was found dead with a gunshot to the head in his home this morning in an apparent suicide, authorities said.
Edgar Neal, a 26-year veteran of the department, was being investigated for a rape accusation, according to ABC 7.
An unidentified girl, 17, was told to come to the station to point out her attacker Wednesday, after she reported the incident, when officers heard the news of Neal’s death and the police line-up was canceled.
"She's saying she feels responsible for that, and I was telling my baby, 'Don't feel responsible for that,” the girl’s mother told the media. "He was scared that it was coming down and he was fitting to be arrested.”
The investigation of the rape and suicide are ongoing.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter