SF cop under investigation for spending hours at home while on-duty
Authorities aren't sure what the officer was doing inside his home - but they don't think it involved work
By Jaxon Van Derbeken
SAN FRANCISCO — Most of Officer Ronald Gehrke's neighbors liked seeing his police cruiser parked outside his house near San Francisco's Lake Merced. It made them feel safe.
Trouble was, his bosses thought he and his cruiser were over in the Inner Sunset District, where the 19-year police veteran was supposed to be walking a beat.
Authorities aren't sure what the 52-year-old Gehrke was doing inside his home while he was on the taxpayers' time - but they don't think it involved work. After undercover officers watched him go home repeatedly while he was on duty, police persuaded prosecutors to file 10 misdemeanor counts of theft of public money against him.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Mass. police end 'High Five Friday' at schools after complaints
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Ala. church asks for its own police department