Ky. police shoot, kill man during confrontation
LEBANON JUNCTION, Ky.- State police say a 41-year-old man was shot to death yesterday after a confrontation with police trying to serve arrest warrants.
Donald Cothern, of Lebanon Junction in Bullitt County, was pronounced dead at University of Louisville Hospital.
Troopers say a Lebanon Junction police officer and three Bullitt County Sheriff's deputies went to Cothern's house to serve two felony warrants at about 4:55 p.m. (eastern time). Troopers say Cothern was uncooperative and was sprayed with pepper spray.
Cothern came out of his house swinging a large pane of glass at the officers. Trooper say the Lebanon Junction police officer, whose name was not released last night, shot Cothern.
The police officer was placed on administrative leave while the shooting is investigated. Lebanon Junction is about 33 miles south of Louisville.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds