logo for print

Suspect in shooting of N.H. officer is arrested at a home in Boston

Associated Press Writer

MANCHESTER, N.H.- A man suspected of shooting and critically wounding a police officer, then leading SWAT teams on a search through downtown Manchester and prompting school lockdowns, was arrested in Boston, police said Monday.

Michael "Stix" Addison was arrested without incident about 5:30 p.m. in an apartment, said David Estrada, a police spokesman. Authorities had been searching intensively all day as dozens of the officer's colleagues stood vigil at a Manchester hospital.

Police were looking for Addison on a reckless conduct warrant when Briggs was shot around 2:45 a.m. Monday. Police said the conduct charge stemmed from Addison being with a gunman who fired shots at an apartment building in Manchester early Sunday. No one was hit.

Officer Michael Briggs was shot while on his patrol bicycle, police said. His age was not immediately released. He remained in critical condition Monday afternoon, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The schools locked down during Monday's manhunt included Central High, Hillside Middle School and several elementary schools, assistant school Superintendent Karen Burkush said. She said entrances to some other schools were locked and being monitored.

In November 2003, Addison and another man pleaded guilty to holding another man against his will in Derry in a drug dispute, the Union Leader of Manchester reported.

The paper also reported that a Manchester restaurant clerk identified Addison last week as a robber who fired two shots during a holdup.

A message left at a phone number listed under a previous address for Addison in Brockton, Mass., was not immediately returned Monday.

A man who lives about a block away from the shooting scene said he and his wife heard shots around 3 a.m. Monday, followed by yelling and arguing.

"We heard six loud bangs go off," said Robert Tarr, who called police.

Other neighbors said they heard seven, eight or even 10 shots.

Briggs was honored last year for rescuing people from a fire in 2004.

Gov. John Lynch visited the hospital and said his heart goes out to Briggs' family.

Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2017 PoliceOne.com. All rights reserved.